Wednesday, February 24, 2010

My Obsession With Really Old Pictures - Part 2


Guess who?!

(It's me. Imagine that)


Any guesses for this little guy?
(That would be the baby brother. Good thing he can't see this or he might kill me. Hehe)

Now this is a tough one. (It happens to be my mother. She was pretty cute.)

^ That's my grandma. It's one of her only two baby pictures ever. And it happens to be over 80 years old.

This happy guy is my grandpa. He's about three in this one. Our family thinks it's the first picture taken of him. (Fellow classmates, check out the dust bowl. It doesn't look like any fun.)


Now, here's my point:

When I discovered that my grandparents had 3 (THREE!) baby pictures between the two of them, it kind of blew my mind. Babies born today have at least three pictures taken on their first day on the planet! (All thanks due to cheap digital photography.)

But, back in the late 1920's, pictures were a luxury. You had them taken on a sporadic basis, and only if you had money. Plus, there had to be a photographer in your area. In the case of my grandpa, he lived on a farm near Kim, CO, which was extremely rural. (That fact, added with his lower-middle class status, explains why he only has one picture to represent the first years of his lfe.)

It's definately a culture shock for us twenty-first century types.


0 comments:

Post a Comment