Thursday, April 22, 2010

Earth Day with Mr. Steinbeck.

Dear Baby Jesus, could I please become the female version of Steinbeck when I grow up? Is that too much to ask?

I'm kidding. (But only a little bit.) In all seriousness, I really am in love with John Steinbeck. I just started reading "Travels with Charley" for my US History class, and it's pretty amazing. The man has mastered the English language. And I'm pretty sure he knows a fair bit of French and Latin according to his writings.

In honor of Earth Day, I'll share this little tidbit from Part 1.

"The mountains of things we throw aware are greater than the things we use. In this, if in no other way, we can see the reckless exuberance of our production and waste seems to be the index."

Steinbeck was not a hippie. He was an educated man that observed what was going on within our country, and expressed his concern for the future generations. He was a reasonable man.

I wish I could meet a reasonable person concerned about the environment. People always seem to be on the end of the two extremes - either they don't care, or they go about judging everyone for not recycling and wearing hemp. (Then ago, I've been in tiny LJ my entire life. This is not a very big pond, but I believe it's an honest description of the fish who live here.)

I don't know exactly where I stand on the environmental debate. I certainly don't want our oceans filled up with old water bottles, and yet I'm not willing to drive an hour to the nearest plastic recycling center to ease my guilt. Its quite a conundrum.

Well, this blog started as something and ended as something else entirely. I do believe now is the time to wrap it up. Quite simply, I love you John Steinbeck, and happy Earth Day :)


0 comments:

Post a Comment